Saturday, February 27, 2010

Marilyn... Meet Winston



















If you are a stutterer, you've seen the lists. Famous stutterers. Actors, singers, politicians and athletes. Here we have two who make every list, Marilyn Monroe and Winston Churchill. I'll leave aside the degree to which the two actually stuttered, and what this should mean to stutterers, and make another point.

Has anyone under the age of 40 actually sat through a Marilyn Monroe movie? The poor thing died in 1962 - I seriously doubt most post-baby-boomers know anything beyond the name and a few iconic photos. And Churchill? I fear that most recent American high school gratuates probably can't say what he's famous for.

If you're going to go the Famous Role Model route - which I see little sense in - I think you need to get off the historical figures bandwagon and find some more contemporary examples. As it is, I find this lists depressing in that with 3 million stutterers in the United States, so very few can be found as role models.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark, I think there is huge benefit in studying those who have managed to improve their fluency or have cured themselves. In many cases it would seem that career success has improved their confidence, so weakening the stutter to a point where it is no longer an impediment. Confidence seems to be a major ingredient in improvement. I believe this is due to the fact that confidence reduces tension levels, so improving fluency. Regards.

    ReplyDelete